Sunday, August 30, 2015

Crystal Temple

Yo, it's your girl.

This weekend we went to the Crystal Temple about 2 hours from where we live. We took a private van and left early Saturday morning. On our way there we stopped at a different temple to walk around and take pictures. I don't know where it was or the name of it but there was a giant gold Buddha inside and lots of worship going on.

A doorway.


Yet another set of Buddhas.

After 20 minutes there, we got back in the van and headed to the Crystal Temple. I actually didn't know where we were going so when we got there I was really surprised. To get there, we had to drive up the only hill I've seen in Thailand. Some may consider it a mountain but I'm from Utah. Anyways, at the top of the hill, we got out of the van and I saw the temple and the famous white Buddhas statue. 


It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. After taking five steps toward the temple, a group of Asians asked to take a photo with us. A first of many that day. We were the only white people I saw that day. I love this photo above because I love that it is such a huge statue on top of a mountain and surrounded by jungle. I love all the green here. 


We went to tour the temple first and instantly started taking a million pictures. It was insanely beautiful. The whole place is covered in glass mosaics. The detail was memorizing. When they built the temple they had people donate their stuff to build it so are pot lids, pottery pieces, jewelry, watch faces and all sorts of stuff in the mosaics. 



This is a pic of my feet. Very cool.


On the stairs. You can't wear shoes anywhere in Thailand.


Photo taken by Katie. Cute lil countryside on the side.


Another photo taken by Katie.

Every corner we turned we had people asking to take pictures with us. The I decided that I wanted to ask people to get in my goPro selfies. 


They were really nice and happy to be in this picture. 

Then, we met a monk named Spite. I guess his parents named him that out of spite. Ha ha just kidding, that's not funny. But that really is his name. Anyways, Spite told us a bunch of cool stories about the temple and its history! It was legit. Then he asked us if we wanted a private tour. It was awesome! We got to go to a bunch of restricted areas where only monks were allowed! It was so cool! This monk seemed to be a little rebellious. He took us to go inside the statue of the five Buddhas while its under construction. Ha ha everyone was staring because we were the only people let in and we already stuck out in that crowd. 

He then took us underneath the statue where the monks meditate. That room was pretty boring but had an amazing view of the jungle. He also took us to the monk library and he showed us a huge Buddha that was made from a solid piece of emerald. It was awesome! 

Spite told us that there are only five monks at this temple because the master monk looked into the other monks mind and saw that they didn't want to take care of the temple.


Another beautiful mosaic in front of the five Buddhas.



Photo of me taken by me.


The Crystal Temple (photo by Katie)


We left the temple and got food at a Thai restaurant where we had a hard time ordering because we could not speak to them. We were supposed to go floating down a river but didn't end up doing it because I guess the river was too high and dangerous. Or so they said. So we went home instead and got smoothies and roti and watched Vampire Diaries till we fell asleep. Basically the perfect day. 

Also I got sunburned on my neck, but that's beside the point.

XOXO, 
Susy



No comments:

Post a Comment